I C::ntr::l Nature (2009) is an unambiguous, synesthetic action of audiovisual improvisation. A gigantic, stringy life form struggles to take life, the convulsions slowly transform its shape in a brand-new body, at last a caterpillar is revealed. From now on its whole life cycle is semantically deconstructed. While the new born butterfly feed itself, its microscopic, meaningless world becomes an immersive and surreal ambient. Where minimal and organic sounds mutate in fearful drones its last beat of wings will finally defeat the fire of Nature.
The live act represents the sarcastic celebration of the human instinct finally able to govern the nature. The improvised body gestures of the performer sculpt in real-time the soundscape and the moving images. The living creature on the screen reacts to the movements of the performer on stage in a mutual agreement and attraction.
The video below shows some excerpts from the live performance executed at roBOT Festival, September 2009, Bologna, Italy. A longer video of a previous version of this performance can be viewed online at vimeo.
Below you can listen to the full concert at Pure Data Convention, in Sao Paulo, Brazil, summer 2009.
Thanks to Enrique Iwao – Ibrasotope – for capturing the session.
The project is performed using a self-designed Human-Computer Interface called C::NTR::L. Thanks to its complex pitch detection and controls trigger system the software allows a user to process in real-time audio and visual signals simply playing a fretted musical instrument. User can comfortably stand on the stage without touching keyboard or mouse.
The development of both the software and the performance took 24 months. During this period the project was tested live at several venues, eventually the final, third version of the performance was premiered at Némo Festival, Paris, 2009.
C::NTR::L is free software released under GPL license.
For further informations and download please visit http://cntrl.sourceforge.net.
The netlabel and platform for experimental arts Format Noise (Raumklangmusic sublabel, Germany) published a free digital release including a full concert performed at the Hoerbar Ausklang Festival in Hamburg, Germany december 2008.
More informations and download here.
Control nature, nature, caterpillar, butterfly, metamorphosis, hatching, mutation; no wave, noise, harsh, drone, ambient; improvisation, performance, non-linear narration, real-time physical interaction, interactive, audiovisual real-time processing; electric bass guitar, augmented instrument, pitch detection, score recognition, physical computing, pure data.
The development of both the software and the performance last 24 months. During this period the project was tested live at several venues, eventually the final, third version of the performance was premiered at Némo Festival, Le Cube, Paris, April 2009.
- TEN, Performance Art Marathon, Lanificio159, Roma, Italy, October 2010
- FAD Festival de Arte Digital, Teatro do Oi Futuro Klauss Vianna, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, September 2010
- Flussi Festival, Teatro Carlo Gesualdo, Avellino, Italy, August 2010
- Pikslaverk, Pixelache Network, Útgerðin, Reykjavik, Iceland, May 2010
- Mapping Festival, Spoutnik Cinema, Geneva, May 2010
- Pirate Party, Capranica Theater, Rome, March 2010
- AHAcktitude, CS Cantiere, Milan, November 2009
- Netaudio Festival, Maria am Ostbahnof, Berlin, October 2009
- roBOT Festival, Palazzo Re Enzo, Bologna, Italy, September 2009
- PureData International Convention, SESC Pinheiros, Sao Paulo, Brazil, July 2009
- S-Block Festival, Interventionsraum, Stuttgart, Germany, May 2009
- NEMO Festival, LeCube, Paris, April 2009 (Premiere)
- Ausklang Festival, Hamburg, Germany, December 2008
- Cinesthesy (Visionsonic #1), Paris, October 2008
- Live Performers Meeting, Mutye, Xalapa, Mexico, August 2008
- Summer Camp, Laboral, Gijon, Spain, July 2008
- Seminario en Comunicacion Audiovisual, S.Juan, Puerto Rico, June 2008
- Max.Experimentell, Stuttgart, Germany, May 2008
- Vision(‘r) Festival, Paris, April 2008
- Cinetrip Vj Torna, Budapest, February 2008
- White Night, Palazzo delle Esposizioni, Roma, September 2007
- Venice Biennale, Venezia, November 2006
Upcoming performances are listed on the calendar page.